Thursday, December 2, 2010

How do I relate to faith? How did Don Richardson relate to Faith? How do the Sawi relate to faith?

Growing up as a child I would gaze in amazement at the thousands of people who would drag themselves through the ordeal of a Catholic procession. The way in which they displayed their faith and walked for miles with a heart full of devotion made me challenge my own beliefs and faith early on. Nevertheless, it is only recently that I have discovered my place within my faith and the ways in which I relate to it. Prior to my epiphany, I used to only relate to my faith when I felt like there was a m etaphysical explanation/reason for the things that occurred in my life. However, at the present I feel like I am able to perceive the glory of God in my everyday life, whereas it is some event or a certain object or phenomenom in nature.

As I began to read Peace Child, I could only stare, mouth-opened, at the way in which Richardson described his unconditional faith in God despite the dangers and the struggles that he might face ahead in his journey. Bringing a family into a mysterious land where cannibalism and head-hunting are known factors is no easy feat. Yet, Richardson makes his decision seem so straightforward and confident that it seems impossible that anything in his journey could have shaken the foundations of his faith. As the account progresses, one is able to perceive, how little by little, every other form of reliability is stripped away from him until he is only able to lean on God for survival, strength and wisdom. This reveals that Richardson definately had a strong relaionship between his faith and his struggles during his incursion into the Sawi culture. Richardson trusted God in his adventure the same way in which Hadi trusted Richardson during the moment where the Ebenezer reached the sea.

Though the Sawi trusted in spirits of their own, their life was very little related to faith in a supernatural force. In facet, considering the status-hunger that they faced, the fear of betrayal and the implications of their culture, the Sawi very much relied on the fate they had on themselves in order to succeeded in life. For example, in the beginning of the account, Richardson narrated the power and status driven life that the Sawi possessed. They relied on themselves and their skills in order to prevail and be granted a position in the microcosmic Sawi society. It is not only until the gospel touches the lives of these men and women that they begin to truly admire at the provision that God brings and the idea that people need to rely on faith in order to do what is best for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment